Particularly in the Nordic countries, your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 can be upgraded with the latest ICS 4.0.4 firmware which was declared recently.
Samsung has rolled out this update for Nordic Countries countries which includes Austria, United Kingdom, Hungry, Germany & others. This update is also available on kies & OTA, you can either flash it from the device itself (if you’ve working Wi-Fi or mobile data) or through the PC. But for the users who do not belong to these countries & want to run Android 4.0.4 on their Galaxy S2. As of now there is no estimated time on by when there will be an official update of ICS 4.0.4 but we can expect an all new version of firmware dubbed as Jellybean 4.1.1.
It is noted that for applying this update, you need not root your device and also just in case if you have rooted the device, the root access will be revoked and the warranty can be reclaimed.
This firmware is dubbed as XWLPO and ropes in the latest ICS 4.0.4 firmware update. This firmware has been officially declared in UK and since there is no boot loader in this update, anyone can apply this firmware in their unlocked Galaxy S2 GT I9100 smartphone.
Disclaimer : If all the instructions are followed which are mentioned in this article, there is no possibility of bricking the phone. We should not be held responsible in any manner for damage happened to your Galaxy S2 due to not following the instructions.
Please keep in mind that the guide mentioned here is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S2 which bears model number GT-I9100. Please don’t try it on any other device or it may result in hard bricked phone.
You can find the model number from the path “Settings > About Phone”. Just in case if you wish to root the device, we will very soon be coming up with the rooting article which will help you to root the device.
Necessary Steps Before Upgrading Firmware :
- You Must Enable USB Debugging By Checking the Box in your device by Following the Path Below:
Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging
- It will highly Recommended to Backup all Your data Stored in your phone So as to Restore it back just in case If You Lose or Corrupt the Data During this Process.
- Your Device Must be Charged up to 60% or Above Battery Level to Ensure that Your Device should not be Turned Off During this Process.
- It will be Recommended to Temporary Disable Security Tools as well as Antivirus Installed on your Computer as This might Interrupt the Process.
Please confirmed that minimum charge left in the device is 50% or else the device may get turned Off in the middle of firmware update. Disable all the security suites present in your device as these tools tend to interrupt the process of firmware update.
So assuming that you are done with all the above mentioned things, you can now head to the next page where we have summed up the detailed guide on how to apply this XWLPO ICS Android 4.0.4 firmware update.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy S2 with ICS 4.0.4 XWLPO firmware :
- Download Odin Multi Downloader which we will be using for flashing the firmware : Odin v3.04
- Download ICS 4.0.4 firmware package from the link : XWLPO firmware package
- Extract the firmware package to get **.tar.md5 file.
- Boot into downloading mode. To do so, switch off your device completely, press & hold Volume down + Home Button + Power keysimultaneously. Read the warning & press Volume up to continue.
- Now open Odin Multi Downloader.
- Connect your device to the PC by keeping it in downloading mode.
- As soon as you’ll connect device to the Computer, you’ll see that the ID:COM section (located at the left top of screen) is turned yellow. This is to ensure that your device is connected properly. If ID:COM section doesn’t turned out to be yellow then you need to install drivers for your device.
- In Odin, Select PDA tab & choose I9100XWLPO_I9100NEELP4_I9100XXLQ6_HOME.tar.md5 file by keeping all the remaining settings as it is.
- Press Start button to initiate the process.
- As soon as flashing process gets finished, ID:COM section will turn Green with the Pass written above it. (Don’t disconnect the phone until you see the Pass message in Odin).
- Disconnect the phone from Computer.
- Now you have to boot into the recovery mode. To boot in recovery mode, press & hold Volume up + Home button + Power key until it appears.
- In recovery mode use Volume up/down button to highlight the option & power key to select the same. Now select wipe data/factory reset to wipe the data from phone memory & wipe cache partition to wipe generated caches.
- After wiping the data & caches, select reboot system now to restart the phone
- It will take some time to restart the phone than the usual.
Note: Just in a rare case if the device is not updated and it gets into the boot loop mode, you need to again clear the cache from the recovery mode and retry the whole process from the start.
So, now your device is now running the latest ICS 4.0.4 XWLPO firmware. To check Android version, select “Settings -> About Phone”. Share your experience through comment it below about your device running on newly installed firmware .